Release Date: September 4, 2018
Genre: Contemporary Queer Romance/New Adult
Tropes/Themes: College Romance
Patrick Mahoney has one goal in mind: get out of his native Fresno and find freedom in the rainbow and glitter-painted streets of San Francisco. As a college freshman, he’s sure he’ll finally have the chance to be himself, away from the judgmental eyes of his conservative hometown.
Josh Dirda’s never wanted to be tied down before, preferring the emotional ease of the one night stand. But when Patrick moves into the apartment that Josh shares with three friends, Josh is caught up in Patrick’s sly wit and quietly creative spirit. As Patrick’s self-appointed tour guide, Josh can be Patrick’s introduction to the city he loves. But after a drunken Halloween hook-up crosses lines, Patrick and Josh must reckon with their true feelings—and decide whether they can let go of the ghosts that haunt them.
*I received an ARC from the publisher through A Novel Take
- This is one of the most angst-free NA love stories I’ve ever read. Whenever there’s conflict in the relationship, it’s solved in like two scenes!!?????
- And the epilogue is gold.
- My only issue was I couldn’t connect with Patrick??? I loved Josh, but Patrick didn’t feel like a dynamic personality. Everyone thinks he’s sweet and adorable, but I just didn’t get that from him.
- But I still loved this book!! ((and usually if I can’t connect with the MC, the story’s toast, but I loved this book anyway c: c: ))
- the pansexual rep is amazing. There are so few pansexuals in literature, so I was thrilled. I felt like I was beaming down into the rep of dreams.
- And the San Francisco setting!!! I’ve never been to San Fran, but it’s been one of my dreams for a long time. So I lived vicariously through Josh and Patrick as they romanced through the city
- And not only is this a sweet NA love story, but the CHARACTERS THEMSELVES!! THEY ARE SO SWEET! ESPECIALLY JOSH!!
- The supporting characters’ personalities are very loud! and exciting! and I just wanted to squish their faces and be their mom.
I think Josh is older than m. but NO, i’m his parent.
Do you read new adult fiction? Do you love it more or less than YA? ((NA is my favorite))
Is there a city you’d love to visit? San Fran is my dreammmm sdkfjksjdfskl